Help to the victims in Haiti
Many local initiatives have been organized by Carrefour's employees, to help the victims of the earthquake in Haiti.
- In Argentina, in January, February and March, the sums collected thanks to the sale of charity products of the campaign "tu cambio puede cambiar vidas" are for the UNICEF in Haiti.
- In Belgium, from January 19th until February 15th, a fund raising is organized with the customers in all the Group's stores (Hypermarket and Market GB and Express). 81.000 € had already been collected for 12-12. Http: //www.1212.be/
- In Brazil, 3 stores in Recife set up a food collect for the benefit of the ASPE (Association of Pernambuco supermarket) and of the CREMEP (Regional Council of Pernambuco medicine). All in all, approximately 2,5 tons of food were collected in 10 days (in January 21-31st).
- In Colombia, the Presidency of the Republic and the Red Cross issued a national call for mobilization. Carrefour Colombia answered this call by setting up points of collection to the customers in all the stores of the group, from the 14th until the 25th of January. Carrefour doubles the amount of products collected. All in all, 120 tons of products were given by the customers (food kits, hygiene products..). Thus, 240 tons were delivred to the Red Cross. The delivery was done with the collaboration of the group "supply chain".
- In Thailand, calls to donate targeted the employees and were organized in headquarters and stores. The collected sums are for 'Thailander help Haiti Funds'.
Finally, the director of the Carrefour franchised store of Santo Domingo (Group Hayot) set up an immediate emergency aid from its hyper. A few hours after the earthquake, 5000 daily food rations (ready to be eaten, milk for child and clothes) were put at the disposal of the United Nations. 40 men came to load them in trucks to escort them to Port au Prince.